Panda is a security company founded in 1990 in Spain by Mikel Urizabarrena. It's one of the largest antivirus software vendors and has a 3.2% share of the market place. Panda Antivirus has many features and tools and they are designed to protect your PC from malware (malicious software), identity theft and hackers.
Panda Antivirus works with Microsoft Windows and Macintosh operating systems. Both versions include antivirus, anti-worm, anti-spyware and ID theft protection. So you get protection when you are online, e-mailing, chatting and you also get security as you use your iPhone, iPod or iPad.
Panda Antivirus has been tested and certified by AV-Test, ICSA and West Coast labs. These tests give it excellent scores for usability, protection and repair and its protection on Windows 7 for example was 78% as shown on the AV-Test and this was better than most antivirus programs except BitDefender and Kaspersky who scored 100% each on this test. On the Windows XP protection test it scored 92% and was equal with Kaspersky.
Panda Antivirus was tested on its protection against malware infections such as viruses, worms and Trojans. The first protection evaluation on Panda for Windows 7 was its ability to protect against zero-day malware attacks, also known as new malware threats. Panda scored a disappointing 78% and was well below the industry average of 92%. This shows that it is not very effective against new emerging threats compared to other antivirus products like Kaspersky Antivirus.
Overall, Panda Antivirus had a 4.0/6.0 Protection score and this was an average result.
PC Repair Functionality
The Repair test on Panda was on the cleaning and repair of a malicious software infected computer.
Panda had impressive results in the detection of actively running widespread malware including rootkits and stealth malware. It scored 88% and was one of the average antivirus program in this test. The industry average was 92% for the 43 samples provided.
And in the removal of all active components of widespread malware it scored 92% and beat the 91% industry average for the 43 samples used.
But Panda was extremely disappointing in the removal of further malicious components and remediation of critical system modifications. It had a very low 44% score for this evaluation and was well below the 60% average for the 43 samples used. It performed worse than other antivirus products like BullGuard and McAfee.
Overall, Panda Antivirus scored 4.0/6.0 for the Repair evaluation.
The usability test was based on the impact of Panda on the usability of the whole computer and lower results indicate better performance.
Panda scored better than the industry average in the average slow-down of the PC by the security software. For the 5 tests performed it had an average of 9 seconds and the rest of the industry was 10 seconds.
Panda also showed better results in the false detection of legitimate software as malware during a system scan, also known as false positives.
Overall, Panda had a good 5.0/6.0 Usability score.
1. AV-Test has certified Panda Antivirus as one of the best programs of the year.
2. It has an integrated firewall which many other antivirus programs don't have.
3. Millions of Panda users are opted in to share details of threats that attack their PCs. This helps Panda quickly identify and quarantine fast breaking malware and send out an antidote.
4. It has a cloud-based system known as Collective Intelligence which goes through thousands of files daily to separate the malicious from the genuine.
5. Panda has its own browser known as Panda Safe Browser which you download from within the software. It sends all threats into a virtual sandbox until it learns what their intentions are.
6. It has a virtual keyboard which stops keyloggers from recording your keystrokes.
7. It has a game mode which blocks all interruptions while you play videogames and watch videos on your PC.
1. Panda doesn't provide live chat or phone support. You can only contact the team by e-mail.
2. Panda is more expensive than most other antivirus programs online.
Overall, Panda Antivirus is an impressive program and you will find little need to contact the technical support team. They have improved the software considerably and it is now in the top list of antivirus programs.